108 Emergency Ambulance Service
108 (Called “One-O-Eight”) is a telephone number for emergency services to call in different Indian states when an emergency arises. The 108 Emergency Response Services is a free 24/7 emergency service for providing integrated medical, police and fire emergency services. The service is based on PPP (Public Private Partnership) model between State Government and Private EMS Providers.
What happens when you call 1-0-8?
When an emergency is reported through 1-0-8, the receiver gathers the required basic information and dispatches appropriate services. Basic information obtained includes:
- Where the call is sited from (District/Taluka/City/Town/exact location/landmark)
- The type of emergency
- Number of people injured and the condition of the injured
- The caller’s name and contact number – for location guidance if required
Emergency help sent out in an average of 18 minutes to the site of the emergency. Pre-hospital care will be given to patients in the 108 Ambulance and eventually being transported to the nearest hospital.
The 108 Emergency Response Service should be called:
- To save a life
- To report a crime in progress
- To report a fire
- Anytime an emergency response is required for medical, law enforcement and fire.
- 12,500 babies and their mothers have survived due to deliveries in 108 Ambulance in Karnataka.
- 9,000 babies and their mothers have survived due to deliveries in 108 Ambulance in Gujarat.
- The Karnataka government offered ‘104’ service under which patients who cannot even move away for treatment, will just have to dial the phone number 104 and will receive medical help
- The service has directly contributed in reduction of MMR and IMR in Gujarat.
- The number of institutional deliveries in Gujarat has increased tremendously over last 3 years, as 35 percent of the total emergencies handled by 108 comprise of pregnancy-related cases.
- This miraculous three-digit number has brought confidence, hope and smiles in lives of millions of people of Gujarat. The passion, integrity, empathy, motivation and professionalism of the 108 Team is a significant differentiator of this service.
- Headquartered at its state-of-the-art Emergency Management Centre in Kathwada, Ahmedabad, a passionate team of 2600 people and a fleet of 506 high-tech Ambulances respond to more than 70,000 Emergencies in a month.
- More than 2.34 Lakh pregnant women used 108 ambulance services pushing up institutional deliveries in Jaipur in 2012. 108 Service was also used for 55,412 cases of accidents in Jaipur.